Wednesday, November 16, 2005

???

The motorcycle weaved through the traffic jam like threads on a loom. Screaming to the world with its lime green exterior, it seemed to know just when, where, and how much to turn. The minute it would seem there was nowhere to turn there the opening would be and the motorcycle would just slide through, as if it had always known it would be there.
In, out, in, out; it moved among all 5 lanes of the intersection. The drivers angrily honked and yelled at the mysterious driver, clad in tight black leather and a jet black helmet that revealed nothing of the biker’s face. Presently, the rider looked up, directly at Charlie and waved. Charlie dropped the binoculars in surprise.
“Todd, Todd, come in!” Charlie shouted into his shortwave.
“Copy.”
“Todd, she waved at me!”
“The biker chick?”
“Yeah! Looked right up at me and waved, didn’t miss a beat.”
“Maybe she just likes helicopters.” Todd was annoyingly calm. Why didn’t he see it?
“Todd, this chick’s been cruising through a traffic jam at 15 clicks. When would she have had time to scan the sky for helicopters? She knew right where I was, looked right up at me.”
“What’s your point Charlie?”
“She knew I was up here. She knows what’s going on. This isn’t just some Harley trying to get ahead of traffic. She’s coming for us.”
“Journalist?”
“I don’t think so, Todd. I think we have a code red.”
“Shit, Charlie, are you sure?” Todd’s tone had changed completely. “I can’t sound the alarm unless you’re sure.”
“Do it, Todd. And fast. She’s almost there.”

3 comments:

Erin said...

oooh, suspense.

Evey said...

oooh... i like it

Marten said...

hee, I just noticed you said "clicks"