Thursday, February 23, 2006

TNT: Ch. 58

(100th post! )

Eric and Gina walked out of the bathrooms at exactly the same time, looked at each other, and laughed. Eric had changed into a bathing suit and Gina was back in her ordinary clothes.
"I decided you were right so I bought a-" he said.
"I was a little rash, so I thought I'd-" she said at the same time.
They paused.
"So , swimming or work?" she asked.
"Go take your clothes off again," he replied
"Hey, now," Gina laughed, "That wasn't an option."
Eric blushed. He obviously had intended no innuendo.
"I just meant, we can go swimming. You're right; there's no big rush."
"Well thanks. I'll go change. Listen, I already nabbed our first lead. I met one of the discoverers of the springs. I'm interviewing him at the restaurant at six."
"I'll make sure I'm free."
"No, I think it'll go better if I handle it alone."
"I see." Eric paused. "This wouldn't be the same guy you were flirting with after you ran off, would it?"
"I wasn't, I mean, well yeah, he does seem to like me, and we can work that to our advantage if I go alone."
"Nice of you to put the quest first like that," said Eric disbelievingly.
"Eric, don't be like that. You know I'm right. Now I'm gonna go change."
He sighed as she turned around. She was right, but that didn't mean he had to like it. He felt like Gina should be his. He'd risked everything for her, to rescue her. And she's kissed him and it just seemed like they belonged together.
Yet they didn't really have a relationship. She didn't really have any kind of obligation to him romantically. In fact, maybe she didn't think about him that way at all.
He turned his mind toward the quest. He was worried about getting the springs. In this case they were caught between two sides who desperately wanted them for themselves. It wasn't going to be easy, coming in and demanding them for themselves. And he didn't have any kind of a plan. He figured once they did all the fact-finding something would come up, but there was really no way to be certian.
Gina came out of the bathroom, clad once again in her bikini.
"I should warn you, the water's awfully cold."
"Yeah, I got that impression." He stifled a laugh at the memory of watching her try to hide her shock.
She glared at him.
He glared back.
Despite her best efforts, her grin turned slowly to a smile.
His followed suit, and pretty soon they were both laughing.
"Race you to the water!" Gina yelled suddenly, and took off. The quest, Eric thought as he ran after her, could wait a little while.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I could just die from the cuteness of this scenario...;-) Happy 100th post! I'm the first person to post on your 100th post! w00t!

Erin said...

Awwwww, cute!

Nathaniel Cornstalk said...

Nice post. Only one complaint: Eric's admission of his attraction to Gina is a little to overt for this point in the story.