Thursday, March 23, 2006

Cold Storage (continued)

"You Bastard. Give me one reason I shouldn't shoot you right now."
He stared Jimmy down, waiting several seconds before responding.
"I'll give you two. Number one, because who's gonna get your goons out of that fridge if you do? You?"
Jimmy didn't back down.
"And the other?"
"Number two, because even you, Jimmy, wouldn't shoot your own brother."
A gasp went up from the still-concious chefs.
"You didn't come here to kill people, Jimmy. If you had you would have armed your guards with guns, not clubs."
"You're wrong, Ed. The clubs were for your staff - most of 'em 'll wake up later with headaches and nothing more. This gun is for you. And I came here to use it."
Jimmy was moving forward, still pointing his deadly weapon menacingly.
"You're right, you are my brother. But that only makes what you did that much worse."
"I couldn't let you kill those kittens, Jimmy."
"Oh no!? You couldn't!?"
BANG!
Jimmy let off a shot at the restaraunt cieling as he gesticulated.
"Of course you couldn't. You always have to be the hero, don't you Ed?"
"I just -" Ed was backed up all the way to the fridge again
"Shut up! Just shut up! You don't get to be the hero this time, ok? You can't save them, and you can't save yourself. This ends here."
Jimmy leveled the gun and aimed.
"You don't have to do this Jimmy!"
"Shut up!"
"You didn't really want to kill those kittens, and you don't really want to kill me."
His face was scrunched up, trying to maintain the look of mad rage, but he couldn't hide the tears in his eyes. He tried to aim the gun and fire, but he couldn't see through the tears. Finally, he cast the gun down, fell to his knees, and began to sob.
As one of his chefs secured the discarded gun, and another called 9-1-1, Ed ran to his brother's side and embraced him.
"I never wanted to hurt anyone, Ed. It all just got out a hand, and it's so much money, and I don't know what to do, I just don't know what to do. I wasn't gonna kill you, I really wasn't gonna kill you. I love you, Ed. I just-"
"There, there. It's okay. It's okay."
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Well that's all I'm going to write of that story. I don't know the rest of it. Anyone is welcome to try to tell the beginning and, if necessary, the end. Maybe I'll even pick it up again.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

From my understanding, it seems that Jimmy wanted to kill some kittens for a science experiment that involved a huge cash prize, and Ed stopped him. So Jimmy carried around the resentment of how his brother not only ruined his project, but became their small town's hero for saving said kittens. Ed also won the science fair for his experiment on potatoes, while Jimmy was disqualified and shunned at school, because the science fair was the huge thing in the town, and if you weren't in it, you were a loser.

Erin said...

That... was random.

Lisa said...

but also completely awesome. Now go read my blog Mr. Jonah :-P

Marten said...

It was all suspenseful until there were kittens. I stopped taking it seriously at that point. Good writing, I just couldn't tell whether or not it was silly

Jonah Comstock said...

Lisa, I'm officially hiring you to write the beginnings to all my endings.