Thursday, February 22, 2007

TNT: Ch. 62

When Gina arrived at the hotel room at 1:35 a.m., she expected to find Eric asleep, but feared she might find him awake and sulking. For this reason, she had bid Sam (who graciously gave her a ride home) goodbye in the hotel lobby. They had exchanged some awkward words about having a good time and possibly doing it again, and hugged briefly (and also a bit awkwardly). Gina felt proud of herself - despite a few uncomfortable moments she felt she'd handled her first real date rather well. And she had high hopes for a second.
What she didn't expect to find was Eric and Master Lin, both awake and awaiting her.
"Gina, it is good to finally see you. Have you learned many secrets this evening?" asked the Master.
"I've learned some things," she replied.
"You were gone a long time," Eric pointed out.
"We went to a bar after dinner," she said, "Talked some more. What were you doing at the restaurant?"
Eric paused, surprised by the question. "I... I wanted to make sure you were ok is all."
"I told you I could handle it, Eric. A little trust would be nice."
"I almost lost you in Maine," Eric replied. "Maybe I'm not eager to lose you in Florida."
"Eric, in Maine I was drugged!" Gina nearly shouted, "You know this is different! And though I know you may not like it, I'm not yours to lose! So you're mad that I went on a date with Sam! And that's what it was, a date. Well, when were YOU going to ask me on a date Eric? When?"
Eric was silent, and the two glared at each other across the room for what felt like a full minute.
Finally Master Lin spoke.
"There is much of anger between you and much of love, but these are not my concern. You may not know it, but you are putting yourselves where the quest needs you to be. If we are close enough to each side, then whomever wins, we win also. Gina is doing her part with Sam, and you are doing your part with the State. But there is another player no one has seen: the other diver. Eric, I will take over with Mr. Begonia. Tomorrow, you will find James Brixon. And perhaps you will find more there then a way to the springs. Now let us all sleep, blissfully free from operatic interruption."

3 comments:

Evey said...

Ooh...Master Lin showed up! How exciting. 2 people -- 3 sides at once. Double Agent Eric?

The Jon of (Dis)truction said...

The way you brought up the love/romantic tension between Eric and Gina seemed a little contrived. I did like, however, the way you tied Master Lin into the plot as a part of the main action.

I was a little sad that this chapter was so short; I miss TNT and wanted to read more.

Lisa said...

Yay, it's back! I'm looking forward to reading more :)